Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A busy few days

Well, the past few days have been busy and I've been a little too preoccupied to post, so here's a snapshot to catch you up on what we're up to.

I was able to drop the kids at MDO last Thursday and had nothing planned so I went grocery shopping to stock up for a visit from Jim's Gran who came for a few days. Then I got almost all of my house cleaned--all at the same time! Then the kids got up from their naps and it was time to start over, but I'm really getting better at the kid clutter--trying to remember that I'll only have ball poppers and Polly Pockets in my house for a season!

Jim's Gran arrived late Saturday night and joined us for all of our Sunday festivities--worship gathering, family lunch, small group, etc. Monday was Meg's dance class and a couple of errands. Since we don't have a guest room we let Gran have Meg's room and moved Meg onto a mattress in Jacob's room. He's already asleep and she can just slip in right? Well, no! Every time he rolled over Meg thought he was awake and would pop up to entertain him. I would hear voices on the monitor and then laughter......Needless to say sleep has been a bit interrupted the past couple of days and a TOTAL meltdown occurred in Target. Not only is my kid beyond reason in front of Gran, but a good friend is there too, and oh yeah, plus the whole store full of shoppers and employees. Anyway a good nap was in store for all and calm was restored.

Monday night I was able to go out to eat to celebrate with my sweet friend who is awaiting the arrival of baby #3. 9 of us gals gathered around the table to celebrate Kari, her family and this sweet little one only weeks from entering our lives. What a precious time.

In the meantime, my mom has been battling an infection and upon her visit to the doctor on Monday was admitted to the hospital for some heavy duty IV antibiotics. They had to drain infection from her surgery site which was evidently very unpleasant, but after 2 pounds was drained she felt near immediate relief. She's still in the hospital and my brother and friends are watching her closely! (meaning that right now plans for me and the kids to head up to TN are pending the outcome of her hospital stay) This does postpone her final chemo until next week which also means that her "graduation party" was rescheduled. (Her coworkers planned a party and all of them are wearing hats!) How fun is that? Can't wait to see those pictures. Mama just called as I was typing and says that she'll be in the hospital a bit longer. The infection is building back up and they may have to drain it again or possibly insert a drain. Please be in prayer with us for this infection to clear, chemo to be completed and healing to begin in her body.

Tuesday was a shopping day for me, Jacob and Gran while Meg enjoyed a playdate with her little friend. We enjoyed dinner out last night (thanks for dinner Gran) and Megan got all dolled up by the clown at family night! Jim then had a meeting, but it was early to bed since he took Gran to the airport at 4:30 am!

Gran is off to NC this morning and we're settling in for a restful morning to get back into some semblance of a routine. Jim is heading out this weekend to TN for a fun-filled reunion with his college roommates! We tried to arrange for all of the spouses and kids to come, but with newborns and school it was too large a task for this trip. We girls are glad to settle for some snuggle time at home with sweet smelling babies!!!

I'll try to post pictures tonight from Jim's computer from Gran's visit and other recent doings.....

5 comments:

Stacey said...

praying for your mom and your family. when are you headed to TN? praying for her infection and that this last chemo treatment goes well. love you!!

The Collins said...

right now they're telling me not to come so I'm waiting to see if she needs me. she wants to come vacation once she's all done so hopefully we'll see her within a month or so.

Mary said...

Did you really mean 2 POUNDS of drainage?? Yikes!! I am so sorry that she is having to deal with all of this on top of the other everyday reality....I'll be praying....

The Collins said...

Yes, 2 pounds.....it was four large syringes full. So far the culture is good, but they're gonna have to drain again....I just hope they don't have to open her up to get it cleared up!

Amy said...

I will be praying for your mom - hopefully she'll be down here for vacation very, very soon!