Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Preserving contentment

You know that feeling when God is trying to get something through your head? He has been working in my heart for a long time, but a lot lately on being content. I don't know why I'm so selfish--always looking forward to bigger and better. (buying a house here, a car that isn't in the shop all the time, new clothes.....) How do I so easily forget His provision when stepping out in faith? How do I forget a healthy family? How do I forget His love when walking through a storm? He has been SO FAITHFUL to me.

Our pastor a few weeks ago really touched a nerve in me when he challenged us with this very thing--that Christ in our lives is enough. Our ladies Bible study is currently going through a study entitled "Resting in Him"--the thought to be content and rest in who Christ is and where we are in each season of life. I love when He overlaps in our lives to really teach us what we need to learn.

Recently several of my friends have been through so much and yet their attitudes are such an encouragement to me. I've not just learned I've miscarried, I'm not going through chemo, my second story isn't about to be ripped off my house while I'm 6 months pregnant, my kitchen isn't covered in a garbage bag while mold is removed and I'm 8 months pregnant, I'm not out of state caring for a parent after major surgery, I'm not in the hospital at 26 weeks waiting until my baby comes, I'm not dealing with chronic pain........and yet why at times am I so discontent? God has truly brought this to my attention. I am facing each day ever knowing that Christ in my life is sufficient! So, if you catch me in an overwhelmed moment please know that I'm working on it...I give you permission to speak into my life and remind me that He is sufficient!

My prayer is that I become so content in Who He is that everything else just melts away. I have seasons and yet I pray that this is a constant in my heart......So I'm grateful for a car that can be fixed and a quiet morning at home to play with my kids and love listening to their laughs and raspberries! I'm thrilled to hear Megan singing praise songs as she runs around playing. Lord keep my focus shifted to YOU! I'm off to play with my two little blessings.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I struggle with this same thing and you have written about it so eloquently. I love your heart on this and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. We could all do better to rest in Christ more fully - He has blessed my family abundantly and that should always be enough. He IS faithful and He will guide us through each season. Amen for that!

Stacey said...

I could definitely do better about resting in Him...I struggle with this daily. Where we're moving next, will we ever be able to adopt....it is always something. I need to be content with the blessings he has already given me. Thank you for reminding us all of that!! You're a rock, love you!!